Thursday, October 29, 2009

True Magic

Last April my family and I boarded a plane back from Nigeria. As we got settled for the eight-hour flight, my little brother and I scanned the list of available in-flight movies. There were little icons next to each movie to show why it might not be appropriate for children. Rather than scanning the movies by their titles, I scanned through the list by counting those icons. It went something like this: "violence, mature themes, language; violence, language; language, mature themes; violence; language; excessive violence; excessive language; nothing; violence." Wait, what was that? A nothing! My heart soared. There was one movie on this flight that was appropriate for all audiences! I investigated further and found this one and only innocent movie to be the TinkerBell movie. I will admit to you, dear readers, that I was a bit skeptical about this. A straight-to-DVD movie made for kids, starring that fairy who was always so incredibly rude to Wendy in Peter Pan? How good could it possibly be?

I will further admit to you, my friends, that this straight-to-DVD movie, made for kids, turned out to be one of my very favorite movies of all time. It was wonderful, it was fun, it was innocent. I fell in love. Back at home, I watched it again with a friend of mine, and we laughed and sighed and marveled at the beauty of it. Oh TinkerBell, how you have enriched my life.

Naturally, coming to college, I could not hide this great love for TinkerBell and her straight-to-DVD greatness for long, especially with a sequel coming out in the near future. Many of my conversations went something like this:

Friend: Did you see Zombieland?

Me: No, thank you.

Friend: It was like the best movie ever! So funny!

Me: Not like TinkerBell, though. That's the best movie ever.

Friend: Haha, good one.

.... (silence)....

Friend: Oh, you're serious.

Me: The sequel comes out October 27th.

Friend: Yeah...

After many similar interactions, one brave friend of mine decided that he needed to see this movie that had apparently so greatly impacted my life. I went home for a weekend and assured him that I would retrieve the movie and soon he would share in the greatness that comes from knowing this lovely and innocent TinkerBell.

When finally time and homework allowed us to watch it, I must confess I was terribly nervous. What if he hated it? What if everyone mocked my flitterific fairy friends forever? It was a risk I would have to take. They had to know the joys of TinkerBell. So we recruited a few more people and began the movie, and some of my dreams were realized as everyone laughed, sighed, and marveled at the beauty of it along with me. My friend Gavin even began planning to compose a Broadway musical version of the movie.

Pondering all this, I am drawn to the conclusion that I have some wonderful friends. I was first amazed by their willingness to watch my movies which to anyone would sound like a painful way to spend an hour, and then ecstatic as they accepted and enjoyed it. And I am drawn back to the passage in Romans 15:5-7 where Paul writes, "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God." I am attracted by the idea of unity in Christ, an innate acceptance of each other, something that ought to come naturally to us because we have the greatest things in common. And I am compelled again by the idea that even as we try to live out this life of accepting each other in love, Christ has already given us the perfect example, and already allowed us to be truly accepted, and loved. It's just magical.

Truly His,
Caroline

2 comments: