Sunday, September 13, 2009

Questions from the Magic Lamp

For those of you who don't know, I moved to California almost a month ago for college. "Where in California?" you may ask. Why, in the very best part of California! And that best part is 15 minutes from Disneyland. Upon our arrival in California, my parents bestowed upon me the priceless gift of a premium annual passport. What does this mean? It means I can go to Disneyland any time I can find a ride. Huzzah!

Now, besides my annual passport, I have two distinct advantages:
  1. My roommate has the same kind of Disney pass as I do.
  2. My roommate has a car.
Last week we exercised this privilege and went to Disneyland for dinner and an evening of Disney-theme adventures.

On our way to follow Indiana Jones into a temple of doom, we stopped in a little shop to try on fedoras and make faces in the mirrors, and in this shop we found the magic lamp! This magic lamp informed us that if we only inserted two quarters into it, it would reveal our futures! We quickly complied, and it informed my roommate that she would answer the greatest mystery of the universe, namely, "Why do hot dogs come in packs of eight and hot dog buns in packs of six?"

Today, on an adventure to dinner with a hallmate, Lis, some similarly mysterious questions came up, one of those being, "Do invisible rocks have shadows?" This questions arose from an interaction that went like this:
Caroline: (trips over her own feet)
Lis: Uh, there was a rock there, right? I saw it.
Caroline: Yeah, an invisible rock.
Lis: Then how did I see it?
Caroline: You saw its shadow.
Lis: Do invisible rocks have shadows? (At this point Lis breaks out laughing at the absurdity of this conversation.)

This all somehow led me to a similarly bizarre question (which caused a similar laughing fit from Lis). There's this verse in the bible (Matthew 18:3 to be exact) where Jesus tells his disciples (who had just asked him who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven) "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
So as I was blowing bubbles in my coffee and pondering this, I asked this question aloud, "Does blowing bubbles in my coffee make me childlike enough to get into the kingdom of heaven?"

Of course, the truth of the matter is that becoming like a child is simply having faith like a child, faith to believe the things you can't see with your eyes, just because someone you trust told you so. I know one person who was, is, and always will be worth trusting. That would be of course the one person who never did anything wrong, because wrong-doing simply makes you not completely trust-worthy. And I am still trying to dedicate everything to him. Brother Lawrence (I don't actually know who this is, evidently someone who loved Jesus) once said, "I turn my little omelet in the pan for the love of God."

If I may paraphrase: "I blow bubbles in my coffee for the love of God."
With that, my consciousness has failed, so I must sign off and head toward sleep. Good night.

Truly His,
Caroline

2 comments:

  1. I believe I encountered an invisible being that had a shadow once... when it tried to eat me, I deduced that it was, in fact, a cat. Sometimes smelling like a fish can be a trifle irritating.
    A cat is the reason why I am not, as my blog indicated, asleep. One of the roguish creatures lept up onto my bed and disturbed my slumber by chewing calmly on my third tentacle. I became thoroughly miffed and sent the offender away, but decided that I might as well check the blog while I was awake. Thus, here I sit, mantle slowly drooping, in need of some of that bubbly coffee you described. Perhaps a trip to the kitchen is in order...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reread this post today and wanted to know who Brother Lawrence was, so I did extensive research (I Googled his name and read a Wikipedia article). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Lawrence

    It was pretty interesting. Here was an obscure monk from the 1600's who wasn't even a full monk, but just the kitchen help and yet his simple writing is still impacting the world today. Pretty Cool. Also, I noticed that it said he started down this path when he was 18.

    ReplyDelete